Some brief thoughts from another great trip to Sarasota for Orioles Spring Training…
· The WBC definitely had an effect on crowds and overall enjoyment. Most position players get pulled after 4-5 innings this early in Spring Training and that’s fine when it’s Paul Yanish replacing Manny. Not so much when Janish is starting both home and away games. The O’s having Jones, Machado, Givens, Schoop, and Castillo in the WBC meant missing out on the best third baseman in the majors, seeing how Givens keeps progressing with his change up, and looking at what Wellington Castillo brings to the table for 2017.
· Paul and I went to Bradenton twice and though I like Ed Smith Stadium a little bit more, Bradenton’s recent renovations have been excellent.
· We left on Sunday, March 19 to come home after five stellar innings from Kevin Gausman. Despite pitching against Detroit’s B-squad, he located everything really well and struck out 8 while only allowing two hits and a walk.
· Lido Beach is amazing.
· Marcello’s on South Tamiami Trail is the best Italian Food I’ve ever had.
· The Toasted Mango is the best breakfast place I’ve ever eaten at. You don’t know what you’re missing until you have their French Toast with mango butter.
· 59 degrees with wind in Sarasota seemed a lot colder than you would think.